Tuesday 23 August 2011

Snake Skin Manicure - Attempt! Using OPI Axxium Soak off Overlay and Colour Gel

Hi Guys,
Hope your weeks are going well.  It is horribly rainy here in London and cannot wait for my holiday in 9 days!!! Looking forward to thawing my bones and seeing some sunshine!!

I have seen in a number of reports, magazines and newspapers the 'Snake Skin Manicure'.  This can be achieved using shed snakeskin.  The concept of using this for me is not all that appealing, but I do like the look of it.  There was a great tutorial in Scratch Magazine where netting was pushed into uncured gel, removed after 30 seconds and then the 'dents' filled in.  I however could not get this method to work no matter what I did!! I tried flash curing, completely curing, 10 seconds, 30 seconds and just could not pull the net out!!

After about 10 attempts at the method seen, I thought I would try my own.  I have shown pictures below, but these are my first attempts, and just wanted to share my thoughts and get some tips from any readers who may have tried this look too?!

For these, I used OPI's Axxium Soak Off Gel Lacquer and Overlay Gel.  I chose this as the tutorials I have read used soak off gels - and I have lots of colours!

Attempt 1:
I applied base gel and then a coat of OPI Axxium SO Overlay Gel and pressed in some gold netting.  I then cured the gel.
Using a dotting tool I 'filled in' the netting 
Tip - Flash cure each colour to avoid seepage!

Using a dotting tool I 'filled in' the netting

Using a dotting tool I 'filled in' the netting

I then added a main colour - although in hindsight I would have dotted all these in or more different colours.

I cured the coloured gels

Apply overlay gel to build shape and smooth surface - file and shape and then apply top sealer - finished image at the end!
 Attempt 2:
Over base gel apply random colours and flash cure

Over base gel apply random colours and flash cure

Add a colour in the gaps and cure

Apply a thin layer of overlay gel and press netting in firmly - flash cure and then apply builder layer

Refine shape, and apply topsealer

My attempts at snake skin

It seemed to look better on the underside!!!

Anyway - thanks so much for reading - your pointers and thoughts would be great!
Thank you, 
Claire xxx

1 comment:

  1. It looks great! I'm dying to try snakeskin nails, I'm going to try this when I get the netting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDwQ1WIJl8g
    Hx

    ReplyDelete